Each door, Every face




"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?"

 ~T.S. Eliot




After summers decade long 
You came on my door 
And asks me of mercy 


You want me to embrace you 
Like I embraced lilies in your absence 
You want me to be forgetful 
Of every waiting hour, every longing 


Your fingertips pressing against my door 
Oh how long, how many times, how often 
I dreamt that
I do not tell you that


You want me to open 
You knock, you beg 
You forget that you don't know me 
You forget that woman's sorrow 
Whose door you opened 
to be shut forever 


I knew, I always knew 
You will come like this 
One day to capture the rust 


But, I want you to know 
That these doors that you are banging 
Inebriated, are no less than hammers on my soul 
That now even your thousand sighs 
Do not move me 


So I do not know 
If this is a curse or a forgiveness 
That you are a lonely man
going backward in time 
And I am the road that is moving ahead 
You move on me 
Without moving ahead 


That the expanse you are leaving behind 
Will always be left 
Will never be what you took.















Comments

Popular Posts