I Don't Much : A Twenty-second Birthday Memoir

To be reborn as your gaze,
The gaze that could fix me 
and pin me up against the wall
where I would hang 
Oh so loosely 
that when you would clap
with your little two hands 
On your hips
I would break every single knot 
and shatter on the floor
To reach out to you
with the trembling glass,
To steal just a single verse 
from your lips,
What a piece of art!

To be the mirror
that would reflect a ghost
The ghost that would not 
melt like paint thrown up 
against yellow wallpapers
And would shriek 
in the middle of night
To tell, 
No, you formless piece of being
Your arms do not melt 
while you walk down the streets

To be old and scratched memories
So that with one fine salt air
I would call them goofy 
And yet alive

I promise, if I wake up tomorrow 
on my bedsheet like these
I would rub my morning eyes
and whisper to you
Hey, I am fun
And I make Sisyphus happy 


But I do not forget 
with my naked,
drunk body 
spread wide 
I giggle,
Anyway.



Photo Courtesy : Meenali Khurana






Comments

Popular Posts