In Defence of Polygamy

Well, it's been days since I've been shouting to one and all who could hear that I'd be committing a gross sacrilege by putting into words the blasphemous life I live. It's because I have been thinking, how to encroach upon such a fragile subject as this. Though I do not claim that I would be able to substantiate it like some know it all even now. Not that such ideology or rather I'd call a way of living (I would fain refrain myself from calling it an ideology because then it would entail political undertones and take me into myriad faux oppositions I have never been capacious to deal with) is not practiced but it's just that it's still considered as some sort of anomaly because the "apparent" normative lifestyle is mostly monogamous. 


On that note, I would like to address this subject from a very personal perspective. This is a really spicy issue someone has pointed out to me. It's being too liberal and being uber cool! Well, I have issues with such modern reductionism that could collate any subject into mere words like 'spicy', 'too' liberal and 'cool'. That being said, did you see the problem now? If not, read the remark again. It says 'spicy'( Problem area no. 1) followed by 'issue'(Problem area no. 2). Clearly, this being an issue is the problem and that is what I would like to defend. 


If you happen to read accounts about how human civilization has 'progressed' from polygamous societies to monogamous ones, I am sure you would not deny the former's existence and not simply term it as some sort of modern novelty or moral corruption for that matter. But, I would also like to take your attention to the word 'progressed' and replace it instead with 'transformed' because if I say progression then obviously being polygamous is being something inferior than the more superior monogamous one for such a process to take place. And, the very motive of my argument is the erasure of such dichotomies, such hierarchies, such stereotypes. 


Because, before we could even realise we become bound to such dichotomies to state that being polygamous is something temporary as if all monogamous relationships come with a guarantee of permanence. If stability is the factor that itches you then aren't you a hypocrite by defining a very beautiful word as love as something fixed? I would shout at the top of my voice to say that love could be anything but that. When restricted, when not natural, it unfortunately dies a very deadly death. 


Yes, ofcourse when I'm talking about being polygamous I am talking about multiplicities of partners you have physical as well as emotional intimacy with. While the former is seen as normal these days  but when it comes to the latter part I'm sure most of you would recede your footsteps back from the unknown territory you just traversed. Why? Because, Love is monogamous. It has to be so. No, what are you talking about? Love has to end up in a blissful married life. If it is Love, then it cannot be any other way. Love that does not culminate is not love at all. Ask yourself again, does Love come with all these conditions? Why can't it be just love and nothing else? Please, Love is not a commodity that has to give out a desired product. In this modern isolation, can we afford being that linear? 




I am not saying that such a lifestyle is better and is not prone to natural human emotions like say jealousy for instance. But, I would still defend my point of view that loving multiple persons equally and distinctly at the same time is possible and is not a symbolism of eccentricity at all. For, Love is above all that. 


Now, let's talk physical. I mean this hierarchy of body and soul is as shattering as the opposition between monogamy and polygamy. What the body feels isn't necessary to be felt by the soul (I am here taking into account the sexually neutral ones to whom there is distinct polarity between the two entities, physicality overpowers) and vice-versa. Both could reside on the same level too.


To conclude, there is fluidity in all the perspectives one looks at life through. Do you feel the same throughout the entire day? You have your moment of epiphanies and suddenly you could find yourself groping for life. Could you chain that? 


 I smoked you in the butt of my cigar, 

You flew away, 

Tell me with these ashen lips, 

How do I quit smoking that way? 

                          



Comments

Popular Posts